Review - Need - Carrie Jones

Need (Need, #1)Title: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Publication: December 23 2008, Bloomsbury
Pages: 306, Paperback
Source: Library Book
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.
She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.
In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.
Need is one of those books that I've had my eye on for awhile, it was on my wish list, I looked out for it at book shops and I looked out for it at the library, where I found a copy. I must mention that the libraries in my area have been getting some fantastic, wish list-ey books in ;) Seriously, I could've taken out about twenty but I'm only allowed to take out seven...:(

Anyway, when I saw Need sitting on the shelf I may have let out a little shriek of excitement, gaining strange looks from others sitting in the library. I took the book off the shelf (Along with six others), checked it out and had it on my blue, wooden chair in my bedroom (where I keep my library books)waiting to be read. Then yesterday (September 20th 2012), I decided to start Need. I'd been looking forward to it for a while (Had to read the other three books first) and now I could sit down, open it up and immerse myself in the story. I did just that, I did have a couple of issues with Need, but it was a book that I just simply couldn't put down, I would recommend it to Twilight/Stephanie Meyer fans.

The beginning had me hooked. I love how the chapters are named after an interesting phobia relating to that specific chapter. The first page immediately drew me in, I was curious about what she was saying. Why did she "collect fears, like people collect stamps"? Why had her dad died? There were already intriguing questions flitting about on page one and I knew I just had to read the rest of the book to find out the answers to these questions. Need kept me hooked throughout the book, there were some riveting parts where my heart was racing and I my eyes were flying over the pages, as I read on. However, there were sometimes a couple of pages where my mind wandered and I had to put the book down and do something else,that lasted for a very short time though and it shortly redeemed itself.

The plot was pretty well structured. There were quite a few twists that had me quite surprised but most of the time I could guess what was happening. The author left clues leading up to the surprise, but unfortunately some of the clues were so apparent that I knew exactly what was about to happen, which disappointed me, as I love to be surprised by a book (D.I.V.E.R.G.E.N.T!!!) . I did feel that the author could've maybe planned her plot a bit better. I felt like her idea wasn't consistent. Sometimes it was like she said this was happening but then a couple of pages later, she was backtracking on the idea she had just introduced. Parts of the book didn't flow together that well together, it was like they were quite randomly written. I can't say more as to avoid spoilers. :)

I liked the characters. I didn't love them. Zara could be quite whiny and clingy. All I wanted for her was to stop clinging to Nick and kick some pixie butt! But she didn't. She even needed to be rescued by Nick when she slipped on the ice O_O. She also moped about quite a bit, I think the author was aiming for her to do that in the beginning as she was depressed with her father passing away but I do think she could've had more depth to her. That's another issue I had with Need, I didn't feel like we really got an insight on the characters' lives. It was like we just watched them do these actions, not always knowing why. I hope the next book in the series will give the characters more personality and depth. The author also didn't tell us how the character looked, at all. The pixies, Nick and a few others were described, but Zara? I wasn't told what colour hair she had, what colour eyes, nothing about her physical appearance. I love getting a description of the main character's physical appearance as then I can really picture my own individual image of the character.

Nick was sweet. He reminded me of Jacob, from Twilight and I <3 Jacob. I did get a bit annoyed with him at times, I like it when the love interest is protective over the girl, but at times it can get a bit much. This was one of those cases. I was shouting at Nick to just leave Zara alone for a minute, so that she can learn to fight for herself and not having to constantly lean on him. He didn't listen though. Boys *eyeroll*

The other thing that bugged me was that the first day Zara started at her new school, in a new town, two boys already had this stand-off against her and she already made two best friends. Which bugged me. Because I mean, really, how often is it that the moment you walk into the school's car park two boys are having a stand-off against you? And you make two best friends? From personal school experience, that hasn't happened to me or anybody that I know. I do think the author could've toned it down a bit.

There were a lot of cheesy moments in this book. Not like the sweet,"Awww" moments in books, but those awkward moments that don't suit the genre. Its a paranormal fantasy and I don't think the way the characters spoke and acted were suited to the paranormal fantasy genre. Zara spoke like the stereotypical teenagers from American chick-flicks, which really got on my nerves. You must either go Paranormal Fantasy or Contemporary, for me, those two don't go well together if written in the same book.

Need also seemed like a rip-off of Twilight. Werewolves and Pixies (Twilight had Vampires). A character who continually needs to be saved. The creepy, dull atmosphere. I think Need is a lot like Twilight but I do think the Twilight saga was written a lot better. Twilight really sets the scene, describes the characters and has an unpredictable plot. I hope that the other books in the series will be written better and have more depth to it.

Overall, Need was an interesting book that I couldn't put down. There were some riveting parts that had my heart racing and my palms sweating. A new paranormal creature was involved in this book that I hadn't seen before, which was a refreshing change. I would recommend this to all PF and Twilight lovers. With a unique twist, an interesting plot and some deadly secrets, Need will have you craving more.

I give it: 3/5 CUPCAKES!







Quotes:
Here are two quotes I found in the book. The first one is the cringe-worthy part but the second part was one of the nice ones I found. Also, just remember, the book was awfully cheesy in the beginning but it got better as the book continued.

Page 26:
"I shoot a look at Megan amazed at how much she hates me already, and scurry out of the office with the loping Ian picking up speed ahead of me. He notices and slows down."Sorry," he blushes. "Long legs."I smirk. He blushes harder and starts stumbling over his words. "I didn't mean that you were short or anything, I just meant that my legs are...well...they're long, you know, and..."I touch his arm, "It's okay.""Really?"He smiles at me, one of those little boy smiles, like he's just been offered a chocolate chip cookie even though he spilled coffee grounds all over the Persian rug."Really." I take in a deep breath. "You're a runner?"
Pages 197-198:
"I don't know!" I yell, waving the poker around. Fear tingles on my skin. Or is it that spider feeling? I have no idea. Nick is already racing up the stairs, taking them three at a time. "What if they break down the door?""They can't!""How do you know they can't? That guy looked pretty strong!"He shouts down to me, "Pixies have to be invited in, like vampires. I read it on the internet.""Well, there you go," I mutter, "then it must be true."