Need to Read #1 - Popular YA Books I Desperately Need to Read - P.S. I think I made a meme?


I HAVE HAD AN IDEA. It's not brilliant, but still, it's an idea that is semi-decent (and to be honest, ideas don't occur very frequently - very sad, I know *shakes head*) and so I decided to develop it and see if anyone else thinks it's a good idea or if it's just me being overly optimistic. DO YOU WANT TO HEAR IT?

(It's really not that brilliant so don't get your hopes up.)

I was thinking that every week (or whenever I feel like it, because I'm lazy spontaneous) I'll make a list of books in different categories of sorts that I am dying to read. Or that I need to read. Categories such as Popular YA Books I Still Need to Read Because Basically, I'm Just Bad At Life, Dystopian YA Books I Still Need to Read That I Haven't Yet Because It Sounds Like The Hunger Games, Newbery Medal Award Books That I Should Read Because Apparently It's So Good It's Won Awards and Banned Books I Need to Read Because I'm a Rebellious Little Book Nerd. Lists that I can print out and keep with me and slowly but surely complete and do a round-up at the end of the month or the end of the year depending on how successful I am at this (I always make TBR lists and never stick to them BUT I AM DETERMINED TO CHANGE THAT).


How did I get this not-so-mind-blowing-idea you may ask? WELL, my dad sent me an email to a link on Amazon, that features the Top 100 Young Adult Books to Read in a Lifetime and after scrolling through the list, I was quite disgusted with my bookish self that I had read a dismal amount of books on that list. And after scrolling through several other lists of several different categories I was appalled that I haven't read many books that people claim are "life-changing" and "so brilliant you'll just want to curl up in a ball and think about life for like, a hundred years" as I generally avoid hyped books because they scare me (so many people LOVE THEM, what if I don't?! It's quite a predicament, I tell you) BUT I am going to become fearless, courageous, as brave as my inner Tris will allow me and READ THOSE BOOKS. If they interest me, that is. I will not wade through pages of dullness just to say I've read a certain book, but there are so many that look so good and I am determined to read them!

IF you want to join in (which I really hope you do, ideas don't occur very often and I'd like to think that the ones that do have the amiability to frequent my presence are considered niceish by the general public), let me know in the comments and I'll add those linky thingies to my posts!

The meme will be called Need To Read (has a ring to it, don't you think?). It's not that original, but we'll pretend it is.

***

For the first post, I decided to do a list of the top 20 popular YA books that I desperately needed to read like, yesterday which was inspired by this Goodreads list I found when I was scouting for ideas. 

So below are the top 20 books that it seems like everybody and their pet dog have read that I still haven't because I'm quite slow with jumping on the bandwagon:

A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1)Legend (Legend, #1)Delirium (Delirium, #1)Paper Towns
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)The Book ThiefThe Giver (The Giver, #1)Looking for AlaskaHoles (Holes, #1)We Were LiarsEragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)The Selection (The Selection, #1)City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)Splintered (Splintered, #1)Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)I'll Give You the SunThe Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)

I'll try and read at least one of these a month - I'm sure I can manage that! I actually have several of these and I'm going to be on a 12 hour flight next month so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a lot of reading done!

What do you think of this meme of sorts? Would you be interested in participating? Which popular YA books haven't you read that practically everyone has? Have you read any of these?